Today was quite the fun, new experience. While we didn't quite get the taste we were hoping for, we had lots of fun. We're going to try more combinations in the future.
Jon with the dough.
Jon trying to knead the dough.
Jon rolling out the dough.
Dough that had been sprinkled with sea salt and dried onion flakes.
Dough in the oven.
The recipe we used is as follows.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup evoo
1. Mix all together in a food processor - dry ingredients then slowly add in wet. Process for 1 minute after dough forms a ball.
2. Knead till dough is just elastic then cover and let rest 1/2 hour.
3. Roll out dough very thin. It will be easier if you cut dough into 3-4 pieces and work with only one piece at a time.
4. Put on pan, spray with just a bit of water (or get hand wet and rub over dough just a bit). Sprinkle with your favorite sea salt, herbs, etc...
5. Take a pizza cutter or dough cutter and score dough into the shapes you want. You can also use cookie cutters.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. These need to look just lightly golden brown.
7. Let cool on wire rack, then store in an airtight container.
For my next crackers I'm going to add about 1/2 cup cheddar cheese to the dough while it's mixing as well as a bit of hot sauce. Those will be my cheese crackers.
I"m hoping to refine our onion crackers by putting the dehydrated onion in the food process with the dry ingredients. Then, I plan to knead in some poppy seeds.