Every time I hear the words "prodigal son", I think back over my own life and what God has done for me.
Young girl longing for acceptance.
Young girl not finding it.
Young girl is now graduated and not knowing what to do with life but finds acceptance with the ungodly company.
Young adult/girl finds every way to run from God. She tries all this world has to offer.
Young adult/girl is now pregnant and realizing her need for her Savior.
Young adult/girl returns home - to her physical home and to her Father in heaven.
Does this story seem familiar to anyone? I know many of us have been in similar situations. As a Christian, how do you treat these prodigals?
Poor Treatment of God's Children
1. "You made your bed, now you must lay in it."
2. "It was your choice, deal with the consequences yourself."
3. Treating them poorly because they did something you didn't approve of.
I could go on but there's no need. A prodigal knows very well just what they left and how gracious God really is. They feel enough shame for 10 people and want fully to live for Christ. Thankfully, unlike man, we have a God who is gentle and loving to us. Who takes us in His arms and covers us with His love.
Help Those Prodigals
1. Love them! Simply love these people who are now trying to live for God.
2. Realize that it may take time. Everything doesn't come at once. Love them in the midst.
I have been amazed at God's love for me. I can't begin to imagine living life without Him. When men fail me, He is always there! I still make mistakes and am praying that He will continually show me my errors so that I may better represent Him. I'm going out on a limb here to say that is what all prodigal's want.