Skip to main content

Fun Kids Recipes - Playdough and more!


Here you will find fun and non-toxic/less toxic recipes for your children. If you have one you’d like us to try out and possibly add, please send your name and recipe to homeschoolingthem@gmail.com Enjoy!
*******************************************************************************************
Bubbles
What you need:
2 cups cool water
1/2 cup dish liquid
2 tablespoons sugar or agave nectar

What to do:
-Mix all together very slowly trying to not form bubbles.
-Dip wand in - do not stir.
Depending on the type of dish liquid you use - some can be much more toxic than other’s. I used a natural brand along with agave nectar instead of sugar. I actually purchased premade bubble’s, dumped out the containers, rinsed and used those to put my bubble solution in.
*******************************************************************************************
Glitter
What you need:
1/2 cup salt
5-6 drops food coloring

What to do:
-Mix together 1/2 cup salt and 5-6 drops food coloring.
-Cook in microwave 1-2 minutes or let air dry.
-Store in an airtight container.
*******************************************************************************************
Finger Paint - I have not tried this yet but plan to soon.
What you need:
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch or flour
2 cups cold water
food coloring

What to do:
-Mix cornstarch and sugar in pan.
-Add water and stir. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly. Mixture will boil, then thicken. -Remove from heat and cool.
-Separate into 4-5 cups and add food coloring one drop at a time.
Add a drop of dish soap for easy clean up.
Paint on cardboard, posterboard or paper.
*******************************************************************************************
Ornaments (cinnamon) - My mom used to make these a lot.
What you need:
3/4 - 1 cup applesauce
4.12 oz bottle cinnamon (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)

What to do:
-Mix together well. Divide into 4 portions. Roll out each portion with a piece of wax paper/parchment paper on top and on bottom of dough. 
-Cut in desired shapes and put a hole in the top with a straw or similar object to be able to later string some ribbon through.
-Bake at 200 for 2 1/2 hours and cool on wire rack. Let stand 1-2 days turning occasionally.
-String ribbon through hole and knot at the end.
*******************************************************************************************
Playdough - I got this from my friend Trudi
What you need:
2 cups water
3 tablespoons oil
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon cream of tartar (or alum)

What to do:
-Boil 2 cups water and 3 tablespoons oil.
-Add them to the rest of the above ingredients and mix well.
-Add food coloring and knead like bread dough. Be careful - it’s hot!
*Add more flour if it’s too sticky. This stuff seems to last forever.
*******************************************************************************************
Recycled Crayons
What you need:
broken crayons
old muffin tin - used only for crafts - not food

What to do:
-Put small pieces of crayons into muffin tin. Put in an oven that has just been used to cook on (energy saving!). Let melt. 
-Once melted let cool and pop out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adult Tonsillectomy Story

Post Surgery as soon as I arrived home. For anyone who really knows me, I have always been completely terrified of surgery.  So when I went to an ENT and he said I needed a tonsillectomy I was not very happy.  I found out in either January or February and I couldn't make my appointment till the end of June because that's when my husband could get off work to help out.  I wrote this so I could hopefully help someone going through the same thing.  Without further ado, here goes. Week Before Surgery: This is when I started purchasing everything I had seen online that might be helpful.  I also started setting up an area on the main floor where I could be inclined for sleeping and have everything at my finger tips.  At the bottom of this post I will have a list of items that I personally found helpful for my recovery.  I also have food allergies and tried to stay away from them as much as possible.  So my food options may seem different than many online. Two Days Before Su

Planters Warts and Duct Tape

So, my daughter ended up having this very sore spot on her heel. I thought she had gotten a sliver in it and it was pushing it's way out. After having my friend, Sheryl, look at it we discovered it was actually a planters wart. After a bit of searching online I found the cheapest and easiest way for removal - duct tape. Sounds like something on the Red, Green show doesn't it? lol I also realized I had one on my big toe on my left foot. As you can see in the pictures above, where the duct tape is there is a clearly defined circle in the center. Underneath there is where our planters warts are. We have been using duct tape now for about a week. Somewhere around day 4, Allysha came up to me and said "some white stuff came off on the duct tape when I took it off". This was some dead skin cells. A day or so later we started seeing black spots inside her wart area meaning it is dying. Allysha has only had hers for a few months while I've had mine for a

Christmas Gift Planning Year Round

Picture borrowed from http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/get-a-jump-start-on-holiday-shopping.html/christmas-presents I love to plan my Christmas gifts starting in January.  This helps me not only save money but save sanity.  I save money because I have all year to look for those specific items and it saves my sanity because my family is not stressed about what to get someone.  We're prepared. Here's a few steps that have helped me. 1. First decide if you want to make all/some of your gifts.  If you want to make them, try to find neat and unique ideas online.  I LOVE pinterest.com for getting great ideas. 2. Is there someone in your family that has a lot of stuff?  For those people I get the same thing every year.  For our grandparents we do pictures in some form and homemade goodies.  For my mom and dad, I always get them a gift certificate to a Bed and Breakfast and add in something small for each one. 3. Make a list of everyone you'll need to buy for.  I make