Monday, December 7, 2009
The Perfect Muffin Recipe
(yes, the picture was borrowed)
I've looked for years for something just like this. I've finally found it - yeah! The original recipe called for craisins as well but I didn't have them so I used dates in place of them. I would think you could use any kind of dried fruit (1 cup total) and it would be just lovely. Personally, I think these are just fabulous. For those who like very sweet muffins, these are not for you. On the plus side, my kids just love them!
1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1- 2 tablespoons flax meal
2 tablespoons wheat bran (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup pitted dates, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil (I used coconut oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup boiling water
1. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
2. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
3. Stir in oats, dates, raisins, and cranberries. Make a well in center of mixture.
4. Combine buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
5. Stir in boiling water. Let batter stand 15 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 375°.
7. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
8. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.
9. Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.