Monday, December 21, 2009
Granola Bars, Baked Granola and Whole Wheat Bread - Mmmm!
I got this recipe from a dear friend, Jennifer Dagett (sp?). I was wanting a different recipe to try. I have a very yummy healthy granola bar recipe which I'll post here in a minute as well. HOwever, the same thing all the time was getting boring. She gave me this recipe and we LOVE it! We eat it cold after it's been baked and refrigerated, or warm with some vanilla yogurt on the top. Very yummy! I've only used frozen blueberries for the fruit thus far but hope to use other fruits in the future.
6 cups oats
4 t baking powder
1-2 t cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk, rice milk, soy milk, etc..
3/4 cup oil
1 cup honey
1 t. vanilla
3 cups fresh fruit or frozen
1 cup nuts
1. mix all and spread into 9x13.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
3. You can make it up and freeze it with or without baking first.
Next up we have some bread my husband has been making. This was his second attempt. I must say he's getting to be amazing at this! He has quite a great time doing it too. It's very relaxing and rewarding for him. I dare say this is going to replace anything we can purchase in the store. The recipe does make 4 loaves which is perfect for us. We make them all then freeze them. I only need one more bread pan;)
Wholesome Homemade Honey Whole Wheat Bread - found on recipezaar.com
2 envelopes yeast or 4 1/2 teaspoons
4 cups water
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups white flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter, molasses, honey and salt and mix well.
3. Add yeast mixture and then gradually add flours.
4. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth.
5. Place in buttered bowl and let rise until double.
6. Punch down and let rest for a few minutes.
7. Divide dough into 4 parts and shape into loaves.
8. Place in 4 greased pans and let rise for about an hour.
9. Bake at 375* for 35 to 40 minutes.
Last but not least is our tried and true granola bar recipe. Sometimes I add in some chocolate chips, other times I add in coconut and cinnamon. You could really add in many other things and it'd still be amazing.
Our favorite Granola Bars
4 cups oatmeal
2 cups unbleached flour
1-2 tablespoons flax meal, oat bran or wheat germ (optional)
1/4 cup raw agave nectar (can sub sugar or brown sugar)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup canola, olive or coconut oil
3/4 cup honey
1. Mix dry ingredients first, then add wet ingredients. Make sure to stir very well till everything is totally combined.
2. Pour into a greased cake pan and press down firmly to make sure bars stay together after they are baked.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or till the top is puffy and soft. Do not brown or they will turn out hard.
4. Cut while still warm.
5. I sometimes add in cinnamon and coconut and omit the choc. chips.