Skip to main content

Trying The Whole Wahlburgers Menu - Part 3

Oh my goodness, we are really getting there.  I can't believe how many items we've been able to try as a group!  The items below show all the menu items we need to get through as far as burgers and sides.  The items in red are what we have yet to try.  We have not decided yet if we are going to move on to the desserts and salads.  We just may do that.  Leave in the comments section what you think we should do.

Menu Items
Burgers:
The Our Burger.  Tonya and I tried these separately.
BBQ Bacon
O.F.D. 
The Super Melt
The Fiesta Burger
The Beast
Thanksgiving Turkey Burger
The Impossible Burger - sadly I will not be trying this.  I have a soy allergy.  
Portobello Sandwich
Mom’s Sloppy Joe
Jenn’s Chicken Sandwich
Crispy Haddock Sandwich

Sides:
Crispy Yukon French Fries
Thin Crispy Onion Rings
Tater Tots
Sweet Potato Tots

From Scratch:
Alma’s Macaroni Salad 
Housemade Chili
Smoked Bacon Mac n’ cheese

Desserts:
Housemade Frappes
Root Beer Float
Creamsicle Float
Grilled Fluffanutta
Cupcakes


Ok moving on.  Tonya and I were able to bring along our dear friend Stephanie again.  She is a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!  If you need to laugh, she's your gal.  Our list as you can see is dwindling quickly.  Tonya and I told Stephanie what was left on the menu to order.  I made it clear since it was (ahem) "that time" for me I'd be ordering The Beast - lots of beef and protein.    Stephanie ordered the Portobello Sandwich and Tonya ordered Jenn's Chicken Sandwich and a side of sweet potato tots.  We also got some chipotle mayo to go with those little tots.  Note - the honey they serve with the tots is WAY too sweet for me.  I love a little bit of spicy with my sweet.  Their chipotle mayo is perfect for just such an occasion.

After placing our order and a lot of chit chat about marriage, our kids, and God our order arrived.  Can I say I was hungry and ready to eat!  We once again divided everything up into quarters.  Since there was only 3 of us total again, whatever we personally ordered we got half of,  while we only got 1/4 of the other two sandwiches.  I for sure wanted to be the one to have more of The Beast left - or so I thought.  


The first burger I tried out of the 3 was the Portobello Sandwich.  It was a “house marinated & roasted Portobello mushroom cap, white cheddar, caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato & Paul’s housemade signature wahl sauce.One bite and I was in love - truly.  The texture was fantastic - this sucker was cooked perfectly!  The marinade they used was perfect - seriously perfect!  I find myself using the same word over and over to describe this...maybe I'm at a loss for another word.  The caramelized onions were a fantastic complement as were the sautéed mushrooms.  It seems weird to have mushrooms on top of a big mushroom burger but it worked incredibly well!  The lettuce and tomato I could take or leave, but the cheese helped give it even more of a "burger" feel and taste without the meat.  The Wahl Sauce came through well on this sandwich.  I keep wanting to call it a burger because that's what the mouth feel was like.  I kept oohing and aaahing while eating this sandwich.  It was a sad moment indeed when I had finished my portion and had to move on.  On days I want a vegetarian sandwich, this is the one I want.  I give this a 5/5.


The second burger I tried was ordered by Tonya and is Jenn's Chicken Sandwich "marinated seared chicken breast, caramelized onions & crispy onions, lettuce, & housemade honey-garlic mayo."  The bun like all the others we had this day was perfectly toasted.  The chicken was well seasoned and was very juicy while still being done.  Yes, in case you haven't noticed yet I have an issue with meat being even slightly "under-cooked".  I tend to dry out chicken when I make it because I want to make sure it's done.  So when I have a piece of chicken that is cooked properly and juicy it makes me a bit giddy.  I thought the crispy and caramelized onions would be redundant just as I thought the mushrooms on the mushroom sandwich would be.  Same deal here - they worked fantastically!  Totally different flavors from both onions as well as texture which was totally needed.  The lettuce was there - again I could take or leave this; but the housemade honey-garlic mayo...yes please!  The ingredients for this sandwich weren't just basic, but they weren't over the top either.  The combination of sweet, salty, soft and crunchy were divine.  I give this sandwich a 4.5/5.  Not quite a 5 for me but not as low as a 4.  

Let us not forget about the tots.  I'll have to admit this isn't the first time I've had these tots.  They are my favorite Wahlburgers side.  I love sweet potatoes and I love tater tots but had not yet found a good one - until now.  They are crispy on the outside without being greasy.  The inside is nice, soft and mildly sweet like you would expect from a sweet potato.  The sweet potato flavor really kicks you in the pants.  They are lightly salted.  When paired with the smoky, creamy chipotle mayo it's like a party in my mouth.  I give these little guys a 5/5.  I keep coming back for more.



Last but not least was the sandwich I ordered - The Beast!  It has “two 5oz burgers, lettuce, tomato, pulled pork, housemade blue cheese sauce, pickles & BBQ sauce."  I'll be honest, I thought this would be my all-time favorite at this restaurant.  I love good bbq pork, and I really adore blue cheese.  My burger was the last I bit into because like I said, I thought I would love it.  Something to note if I haven't said it already...I do not think the quality/flavor of the actual burger at this restaurant is great - it's mediocre to me at best.  What really makes it for me is the toppings.  Like the BBQ burger - toppings were so good and took the mediocre burger to a whole new level.  That's what I expected with this.  Sadly, I was disappointed.  The pulled pork was dry, I could barely taste the blue cheese and there was almost too little bbq sauce.  I think if this burger had only one patty you'd have a better burger to topping ratio that may have led to me giving this a higher rating.  I kept taking bites hoping it would get better.  Like maybe everything was in the middle?  Nope, still the same verdict.  What I really wanted was another bite of the Portobello Sandwich I had already polished away.  Sadly I give this burger a 2.5/5.  The burger quality and that of the pork just isn't great.  This is one I'll be passing on in the future.

We don't have much further to go to get through all the sandwiches.  And who knows, if someone else orders the Impossible Burger I may just try it anyway.  I'm excited for the next trip we make to Wahlburgers.  See you back soon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adult Tonsillectomy Story

Post Surgery as soon as I arrived home. For anyone who really knows me, I have always been completely terrified of surgery.  So when I went to an ENT and he said I needed a tonsillectomy I was not very happy.  I found out in either January or February and I couldn't make my appointment till the end of June because that's when my husband could get off work to help out.  I wrote this so I could hopefully help someone going through the same thing.  Without further ado, here goes. Week Before Surgery: This is when I started purchasing everything I had seen online that might be helpful.  I also started setting up an area on the main floor where I could be inclined for sleeping and have everything at my finger tips.  At the bottom of this post I will have a list of items that I personally found helpful for my recovery.  I also have food allergies and tried to stay away from them as much as possible.  So my food options may seem different than many online. Two Days Before Su

Planters Warts and Duct Tape

So, my daughter ended up having this very sore spot on her heel. I thought she had gotten a sliver in it and it was pushing it's way out. After having my friend, Sheryl, look at it we discovered it was actually a planters wart. After a bit of searching online I found the cheapest and easiest way for removal - duct tape. Sounds like something on the Red, Green show doesn't it? lol I also realized I had one on my big toe on my left foot. As you can see in the pictures above, where the duct tape is there is a clearly defined circle in the center. Underneath there is where our planters warts are. We have been using duct tape now for about a week. Somewhere around day 4, Allysha came up to me and said "some white stuff came off on the duct tape when I took it off". This was some dead skin cells. A day or so later we started seeing black spots inside her wart area meaning it is dying. Allysha has only had hers for a few months while I've had mine for a

Christmas Gift Planning Year Round

Picture borrowed from http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/get-a-jump-start-on-holiday-shopping.html/christmas-presents I love to plan my Christmas gifts starting in January.  This helps me not only save money but save sanity.  I save money because I have all year to look for those specific items and it saves my sanity because my family is not stressed about what to get someone.  We're prepared. Here's a few steps that have helped me. 1. First decide if you want to make all/some of your gifts.  If you want to make them, try to find neat and unique ideas online.  I LOVE pinterest.com for getting great ideas. 2. Is there someone in your family that has a lot of stuff?  For those people I get the same thing every year.  For our grandparents we do pictures in some form and homemade goodies.  For my mom and dad, I always get them a gift certificate to a Bed and Breakfast and add in something small for each one. 3. Make a list of everyone you'll need to buy for.  I make