Monday, September 6, 2010
Preparing for Fall and Winter
She is not afraid of the snow for her household, For all her household are clothed with scarlet. Proverbs 31:21
I read a lovely blog the today about preparing for winter. What a lovely idea! It's kind of what we've been doing freezing fruits and veggies, but this took it to a whole new level. Here is the link to that article.
For me and my family, things are a bit different here so this is what I"m hoping to do/have on hand.
1. plenty of blankets
2. flashlights with batteries
3. clean small room heaters and have them in a handy place.
4. clean humidifiers and put them in a handy place.
5. take winter clothing out of storage for the kids and myself and see what we need to get/get rid of.
6. get out the cover for in front of the fire place.
7. clean the basement for those long winter nights so the kids can play/exercise (yes us parents too).
8. have herbs, raw honey and spices on hand for the herbal remedies we make.
9. have kool-aid packets on hand for making our own electrolyte drink.
10. purchase waterproof mats for my car.
11. till up my garden, sew in some hairy vetch and let it be :)
12. put away everything outside that needs to come in for the winter.
13. make sure sleds are in a handy place for when it snows.
14. soup packets for those times when i'm sick and need some :)
15. get out aromatherapy items and essential oils to use instead of candles.
16. Cut down perennials and clear diseased and dead debris from gardens.