Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sourdough Bread Using Our Own Wild Yeast Sourdough

My husband is usually the one to make bread. Go figure right? I saw online how to make wild yeast sourdough starter. I thought "hey, I might as well try it." So, here's the pix. Tell me what you think :)

The first few days I didn't see anything going on, but here it is on day 4.


Here is the dough after only 4 cups of flour put in and rising for a few hours.


Here is the kneaded, shaped and scored dough :)


Here is a picture of the baked bread with a small piece cut out.


This was such a fun experience. I really think the only reason why I was able to successfully make this is because it took the pineapple juice that inhibited bad bacteria growth. Here is the link to the sourdough starter.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/233

I've been told it will taste more sour as your sourdough ages. Yeah!

2 comments:

Tales of the Kiberts said...

your bread looks really good, nothing like what my blob of goo looked like. :D I think you have inspired me to try again. What kind of pineapple juice did you use? I am pretty sure Dole brand is mostly devoid of any nutrients.

Amanda Kaake said...

Thanks! I used whatever was cheaper. Rofl! I think it was the Meijer brand which honestly is probably the same thing as Dole. Who knows. I believe it's the natural enzymes in the pineapple that help with this .... I'm still new to why it works, I just know that it did. I'm making sourdough pancakes today.