Skip to main content

Summer Vacation is Here! How to Survive and Thrive During Summer Vacation


Today is the last day of school. The boys and I are so excited!!!! One of the things I like to do is ask each child if they could only do one thing this summer, what would they want to do. We make sure to do those things, within reason of course, before the summer ends. Today we are hammering out the first one with camping - Daniel’s choice. I had reservations at a campground but had to cancel because of health issues. That’s not going to deter this mama! We will now camp in the backyard. Being intentional in this way has led me to have a lot fewer regrets on the way time is spent during the summer with my kiddos. 

Another thing I do is think of what each child needs to work on. Jonathan is getting closer and closer to adulthood so this summer he’s going to be cooking a meal once a week for our family to get more used to the kitchen. Joshua and Daniel are going to learn how to ride bikes without training wheels. Again, picking one thing per child. This helps the boys and I not only set, but attain every goal that we set for the summer. 

I have a no screen rule in the morning.  While dad is ok with screens on during the weekend as soon as the kids emerge from their rooms, Monday - Friday is my domain and that's a big no for this mama.  There are things I expect to be done by each child as well as fun activities I do with my kiddos before screens are even allowed.  I love charts and I've found that purchasing the small magnetic dry erase boards at Dollar Tree has been crazy helpful.  I make a chart on each board complete with areas for the kids to check.  All of this is done with sharpie markers.  Things we may include are getting dressed, brushing your teeth, reading for 30 minutes, exercise, chores, etc...    One app we found out about through my kids school was Epic! - Books for Kids.  We used it for the first time last year and loved it!  They always have summer promotions.  Check out this link for the info.  This way they choose what they want to read, and if they want to be read to or read themselves.     

When it comes to activities, less is always better.  Remember what it was like to be out of school on summer vacation?  Oh man, most of us couldn't wait to sleep in and just relax.  I longed for having the down time to read books for hours in the shade with a cool breeze on my back.  When I was older I liked being able to work a summer job and make some money as opposed to working at home for free.  Yep, it's true.  lol.  Ask your kids what they want to do.  Packing their schedules full with activities doesn't give them time to relax or be creative.  Boredom spurs creativity.  See what's important to them and work with that.  My eldest likes to go to summer camp - that's only 1 week.  He doesn't need to go to 4 different camps.  My middle child loves science so he takes 5 classes at a local science center.  The little guy is currently signed up for tball - that's only 1 month of organized sports.  The rest of the time we have available for visiting family, going to the beach, having friends over, learning life skills with mama, going to a park, having bonfires, and all the other fun things I'm currently forgetting.   The summer is ours for the taking.  We are sleeping in, relaxing and having fun.  We will not be bound by endless scheduled events.  If you have gotten stuck in the busy rut during the summer, let me encourage you to take that time back.  

Last but not least, setting up a snack area either in the fridge or on the counter is so very helpful!  That way when someone is "so hungry" they know exactly where to go and what they can have.  No asking mama questions multiple times for a snack.  You can also set a cut-off time when snacks are no longer allowed.  1-2 hours before meal time is what I shoot for.

Be intentional about the time spent with your kids during summer vacation. You will be glad you did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adult Tonsillectomy Story

Post Surgery as soon as I arrived home. For anyone who really knows me, I have always been completely terrified of surgery.  So when I went to an ENT and he said I needed a tonsillectomy I was not very happy.  I found out in either January or February and I couldn't make my appointment till the end of June because that's when my husband could get off work to help out.  I wrote this so I could hopefully help someone going through the same thing.  Without further ado, here goes. Week Before Surgery: This is when I started purchasing everything I had seen online that might be helpful.  I also started setting up an area on the main floor where I could be inclined for sleeping and have everything at my finger tips.  At the bottom of this post I will have a list of items that I personally found helpful for my recovery.  I also have food allergies and tried to stay away from them as much as possible.  So my food options may seem different than many online. Two Days Before Su

Planters Warts and Duct Tape

So, my daughter ended up having this very sore spot on her heel. I thought she had gotten a sliver in it and it was pushing it's way out. After having my friend, Sheryl, look at it we discovered it was actually a planters wart. After a bit of searching online I found the cheapest and easiest way for removal - duct tape. Sounds like something on the Red, Green show doesn't it? lol I also realized I had one on my big toe on my left foot. As you can see in the pictures above, where the duct tape is there is a clearly defined circle in the center. Underneath there is where our planters warts are. We have been using duct tape now for about a week. Somewhere around day 4, Allysha came up to me and said "some white stuff came off on the duct tape when I took it off". This was some dead skin cells. A day or so later we started seeing black spots inside her wart area meaning it is dying. Allysha has only had hers for a few months while I've had mine for a

Christmas Gift Planning Year Round

Picture borrowed from http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/get-a-jump-start-on-holiday-shopping.html/christmas-presents I love to plan my Christmas gifts starting in January.  This helps me not only save money but save sanity.  I save money because I have all year to look for those specific items and it saves my sanity because my family is not stressed about what to get someone.  We're prepared. Here's a few steps that have helped me. 1. First decide if you want to make all/some of your gifts.  If you want to make them, try to find neat and unique ideas online.  I LOVE pinterest.com for getting great ideas. 2. Is there someone in your family that has a lot of stuff?  For those people I get the same thing every year.  For our grandparents we do pictures in some form and homemade goodies.  For my mom and dad, I always get them a gift certificate to a Bed and Breakfast and add in something small for each one. 3. Make a list of everyone you'll need to buy for.  I make