Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Master List For 20 People



I wanted to post this so I don't have to do the leg work year after year.  lol!  Hopefully this helps someone else out too.   Please note I do not have pies, or rolls listed.  That's because they will be brought by a family member.  Adjust accordingly.

Don't be too shy to ask guests to bring something to contribute to the meal.  Keep in mind that out of town guests should bring things that don't need refrigeration.  Items could include pies, rolls, drinks, paper products (plates, cups, napkins), canned or bottled beverages, etc...

I like having a master list ready so I can slowly start buying non-perishable items starting a month before so the financial hit doesn't seem as bad.  That way I can also pick things up as they go on sale. Make sure to keep your list with you when you go shopping.  I have not added a shopping list here because I've already purchased several items.  Maybe I can update that later ;)  I also like to use as many paper products as possible so the clean-up is much easier and I get to enjoy more time with my family vs in the kitchen.  One must have for me are Chinet White Platters.  They come in a 24 pack, are super heavy duty and large!  This is perfect for the one huge meal out of the year - Thanksgiving! I do use real silverware.  Sams Club is a great place to get replacements as ours seem to disappear on a regular basis.  Must be those fairies!

Enjoy!


Set Up:
Coffee/tea station with everything needed (powdered cream, sugar, kcups, teas, hot cocoas disposable coffee cups.)
Appetizers on the main table along with cold beverages.
Main food on counter by sink.  
Pies/desserts on counter in front of sink.


Noon Appetizer/Snacks:
Cheese cubes, salami - platter
Crackers, pretzels - platter/bowls
Chex mix - small bowls
Veggie and dip tray - tray
Candycorn in candy dishes
Deviled eggs


3:00pm main meal:
Roasted and smoked turkeys 18-20lbs each (we like to have leftovers)
Mashed potatoes (18 cups)
Gravy (2 quarts)
Sweet potato casserole - make 2 1/2 recipes
Mini bundt stuffing - Matt makes the stuffing.
Green bean casserole (3 recipes)
Cream cheese corn
Rolls and jam
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin pie 3-4 pies
Spice cupcakes - 24 cupcakes (that's one cake mix)
Pepsi, Canada Dry, Lipton or Arizona Tea, and bottled water.


Pan sizes:
9x13 = 15 cups
9x5 loaf = 8 cups
9x9x2 = 8 cups
9’ round = 6 cups


Thanksgiving Timetable:

5 days before:
Purchase turkeys

Day before:
Double check toilet paper, paper products, trash bags and food items.  If you're missing something, go and get it;) 
Cut all possible veggies for appetizers, and stuffing. Cut cheese into cubes and salami.  Platter the cheese and salami.
Cook sweet potatoes in the crockpot, mash and refrigerate.
Set up drink station
Place cranberry sauce in serving dish, cover and put in fridge.
Make cupcakes 
Set out all dishes and serving utensils for the next day.
Pick up ice.
Sit out all canned food, and spices on the counter.
Make seasoned butter for turkey. *See turkey tips below.

Day of:
9:00am - cut bread cubes and toast.  Set aside till later. place cold drinks outside.  Mix up frosting (canned frosting, powdered sugar and cream cheese) and ice cupcakes.
9:45am set turkey out to come to room temp if 20 pounds
10:15 - start prepping turkey
10:30 - place turkey in oven.
11:30 - set out appetizers, and plates/napkins, get cold drinks from outside.
2:00pm - take turkey out and set aside drippings.  to cover or not to cover?  that is the question.  Tenting with foil can cause soggy skin. Put stuffing in oven.
2:15pm - make gravy, start mashed potatoes  
2:30pm - start cream cheese corn, and put sweet potatoes, and green bean casserole in the oven. 
3:00pm - Get everything on the oven and carve the turkeys.
Now my friend is the time to eat your fantastic meal!


My Turkey Tips!!!!
The night before mix together thyme, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper with about 3/4 cup room temperature butter.  Put in a freezer bag and refrigerate.

On the day of remove turkey out of it’s package.  Remove giblets and neck.  Rinse under cold water then use paper towels to dry inside and out.  Also take out seasoned butter and place on counter.

Place in roasting tray on rack and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes and preheat oven to 475 degrees.  

After the 30 minutes is up, rub your fingers under the skin to loosen from the flesh.  Pipe in the butter mixer and move around till all the inside of the chicken is covered.

On the outside of the chicken brush olive oil  on the skin and salt.  

Place in oven and back at 475 degrees for 1/2 hour.  Then turn down oven to 350 degrees and roast till thermometer reads 155 degrees.  The turkey will continue to cook as it sets and should get up to 165 degrees.  Make sure to double check before serving. This usually equals to 1 hour sooner than the standard cooking time.

Some people say don’t tent with foil because the skin will no longer be crispy.



Comments

CheshireLizzy said…
You never cease to amaze me.
I think I'll send my children to you when they are teenagers so they can learn how to make a Thanksgiving meal.
I can only dream of being this organised in anything.

Popular posts from this blog

My Adult Tonsillectomy Story

Post Surgery as soon as I arrived home. For anyone who really knows me, I have always been completely terrified of surgery.  So when I went to an ENT and he said I needed a tonsillectomy I was not very happy.  I found out in either January or February and I couldn't make my appointment till the end of June because that's when my husband could get off work to help out.  I wrote this so I could hopefully help someone going through the same thing.  Without further ado, here goes. Week Before Surgery: This is when I started purchasing everything I had seen online that might be helpful.  I also started setting up an area on the main floor where I could be inclined for sleeping and have everything at my finger tips.  At the bottom of this post I will have a list of items that I personally found helpful for my recovery.  I also have food allergies and tried to stay away from them as much as possible.  So my food options may seem different than many online. Two Days Before Su

Planters Warts and Duct Tape

So, my daughter ended up having this very sore spot on her heel. I thought she had gotten a sliver in it and it was pushing it's way out. After having my friend, Sheryl, look at it we discovered it was actually a planters wart. After a bit of searching online I found the cheapest and easiest way for removal - duct tape. Sounds like something on the Red, Green show doesn't it? lol I also realized I had one on my big toe on my left foot. As you can see in the pictures above, where the duct tape is there is a clearly defined circle in the center. Underneath there is where our planters warts are. We have been using duct tape now for about a week. Somewhere around day 4, Allysha came up to me and said "some white stuff came off on the duct tape when I took it off". This was some dead skin cells. A day or so later we started seeing black spots inside her wart area meaning it is dying. Allysha has only had hers for a few months while I've had mine for a

Christmas Gift Planning Year Round

Picture borrowed from http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/get-a-jump-start-on-holiday-shopping.html/christmas-presents I love to plan my Christmas gifts starting in January.  This helps me not only save money but save sanity.  I save money because I have all year to look for those specific items and it saves my sanity because my family is not stressed about what to get someone.  We're prepared. Here's a few steps that have helped me. 1. First decide if you want to make all/some of your gifts.  If you want to make them, try to find neat and unique ideas online.  I LOVE pinterest.com for getting great ideas. 2. Is there someone in your family that has a lot of stuff?  For those people I get the same thing every year.  For our grandparents we do pictures in some form and homemade goodies.  For my mom and dad, I always get them a gift certificate to a Bed and Breakfast and add in something small for each one. 3. Make a list of everyone you'll need to buy for.  I make