Wednesday, July 25, 2012
I was reminded by my sister-in-law that we needed to start making these burritos again to make life a bit easier. In the past we'd layer the ingredients. I saw a video on youtube where a mom mixed all the ingredients together, then filled the burritos. That's what we did with these. We made 24 freezer burritos (large and stuffed) for only $15.29 which comes out to about $.64 each. If you do not use meat and make your own beans, it would be even cheaper. Also, if you use cheaper rice you'll save money. We're very particular to using basmati or jasmine rice. These are so packed that they will feed one adult or two younger children per burrito. Add a nice salad and you've got a pretty healthy meal!
1 can tomatoes and chilies $.69
1/2 large package frozen chicken breasts $4
2 cans black beans $1.38
1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice $.75
chicken bullion and spices were all under $1.00
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese $4.00
1 cup salsa $.50
3 packages of burrito sized shells $3.00
Total for 24 burritos is $15.29
Here's how we made ours.
1. Place chicken, diced tomatoes and chilis, 1 teaspoon each of chili powder, garlic powder and cumin in crockpot and cook on high or low till chicken is cooked through.
2. Shred chicken and put back in crockpot with juices. This is when we put the chicken in a container in the fridge overnight so all our ingredients are cool the next morning.
3. When making burritos, purchase or make the shells, then warm them a bit so they are easy to fold. I put 8 at a time spaced out (and stacked) on a plate and microwave till just warm.
4. Mix cooked rice, cooked chicken, drained beans, salsa and cheese all in one big bowl.
5. Next, fill your burritos, fold up and flash freeze.
6. Once burritos are flash frozen, put them in a freezer bag/container and freeze till ready to use.
7. Microwave till the buritoes are cooked through or place them in your oven (I've never done this so I don't know what settings or for how long).
A couple things to note.
1. the cheese and salsa help everything come together. If you don't use them, they won't be as yummy and gooey.
2. These are much healthier than anything you can get from taco bell.