Wednesday, August 31, 2011
This is my first year hot water bath canning. To my surprise and delight, it all turned out great! The salsa tastes amazing and the seals all sealed! Enjoy!
5 lbs chopped and seeded tomatoes - I used mostly roma
1lb hot peppers, halved and seeded - I used several jalapeno's, and 2-3 ancho pepers
2 green peppers - quartered and seeded
1lb sweet onion peeled and quartered
1 cup white vinegar
1 lime, juiced
1 Tablespoon cumin powder
3 Tablespoons dried parsley
1 Tablespoon pink Himalayan sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
6 oz tomato paste
1. Dice about 1/3 - 1/2 the tomatoes by hand. Put the rest in a food processor and pulse process just till they are in pieces but not too long otherwise you'll make tomato juice.
2. Put the peppers in a food processor and pulse a few times till they are in little pieces but not a paste. The same with the onions.
3. Put all ingredients except tomato paste in a large pan on stove. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Add in tomato paste and stir. Simmer 15 more minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Ladle in jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jars with a clean rag and adjust lids. Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.