Skip to main content

Toad in the Hole




I find these recipes for this authentic English meal online.  I hope the recipes I chose were truly authentic.  Anyway...our family loved our meal!  I definitely plan on making this again.  I didn't have any course mustard for the gravy so I left that out.

Toad in the Hole
6 medium sized sausage links (my dear friend told me that bratwurst was a good equivalent.  I got uncooked)
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt (to 1 teaspoon)
2 eggs
1 c. milk
4 tbsp. oil (or 2-3)
Cook your sausages in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
Blend flour, salt, eggs, milk together until very smooth, scraping bowl occasionally (a blender also works well for this).
Heat oven to 450 degrees.
Measure oil into 8 x 8 x 2 inch square Pyrex pan. Heat for 2 minutes.
Add sausages to oil in bottom of pan (be careful-- the oil may spit)
Pour batter into pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. Do not open door. Serve immediately, with gravy if desired. (make gravy while these are cooking)




Onion Gravy:
1oz butter
2 red onions
1 small garlic clove
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp coarse mustard
worcestershire sauce
dried thyme
pepper
salt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adult Tonsillectomy Story

Post Surgery as soon as I arrived home. For anyone who really knows me, I have always been completely terrified of surgery.  So when I went to an ENT and he said I needed a tonsillectomy I was not very happy.  I found out in either January or February and I couldn't make my appointment till the end of June because that's when my husband could get off work to help out.  I wrote this so I could hopefully help someone going through the same thing.  Without further ado, here goes. Week Before Surgery: This is when I started purchasing everything I had seen online that might be helpful.  I also started setting up an area on the main floor where I could be inclined for sleeping and have everything at my finger tips.  At the bottom of this post I will have a list of items that I personally found helpful for my recovery.  I also have food allergies and tried to stay away from them as much as possible.  So my food options may seem different than ma...

Christmas Gift Planning Year Round

Picture borrowed from http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/09/get-a-jump-start-on-holiday-shopping.html/christmas-presents I love to plan my Christmas gifts starting in January.  This helps me not only save money but save sanity.  I save money because I have all year to look for those specific items and it saves my sanity because my family is not stressed about what to get someone.  We're prepared. Here's a few steps that have helped me. 1. First decide if you want to make all/some of your gifts.  If you want to make them, try to find neat and unique ideas online.  I LOVE pinterest.com for getting great ideas. 2. Is there someone in your family that has a lot of stuff?  For those people I get the same thing every year.  For our grandparents we do pictures in some form and homemade goodies.  For my mom and dad, I always get them a gift certificate to a Bed and Breakfast and add in something small for each one. 3. Make a list of everyone...

Joshie's Busy Book

I wanted to do one of these for Jon when he was little but never got to it.  Now, several years later I've finally started AND completed one of these little books.  I'd love to add more pages in the future, but for now I call this good.   Knowing Joshie, he'll love this!  I can't wait to see him get it on Christmas Day!                                                        A Big Letter "J" for Joshua! A black fuzzy buckle to play with; fringed felt to run his sweet baby fingers through and a red wagon; every little boys dream. Cut out shapes with velcro for matching and a Kangaroo mama and with a baby roo that peeks in and out of her pouch.                       A dolphin leaping out of the waves (that make noise) and a cow with a jingling bell. Last bu...