Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

Hamburger Sausage Gravy and Butterflies?

We have butterflies!  My mom purchased a butterfly net and house for Jon for one of his gifts (I think Christmas).  There was a card inside to send for some butterfly larvae.  We just got them not too long ago (they had a short supply) and here is what we saw today!  When we woke up, nothing much was going on.  But when we went to look around lunchtime, this is what we saw!!!



 Here is an escapee.  I tried to get a better picture for my mom and one flew out!  I was shocked since the instructions said it'd be a day or so before it could fly. How exciting!  We did however make sure to put him right back.


 In other news, my friend Kala told me about using hamburger for gravy and then uses spices to make it taste more like sausage.  I'm game to try anything, especially since we more often have hamburger on hand than sausage.  I found a recipe online, forgot an ingredient, changed up something else and it ended up SO good!  Recipe to follow below.  My sons loved this as did I.  This will definitely be put on our regular meal rotation.

Hamburger Sausage Gravy
Ingredients:
1 pound hamburger (or turkey if that's what you like)
1/2 heaping teaspoon sea salt
pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup (or so) of flour
milk

Directions:
1. Cook hamburger on stove till no longer pink.  About half way through I added in the spices.  Do NOT drain.

2. Add in 1/4 cup or so of flour and coat the burger and cook for about a minute on medium heat stirring constantly.

3. Add in milk (maybe 2-3 cups?) till it just covers the meat.  Keep heating on medium stirring pretty constant till it thickens.  You can add more milk if you'd like.  I also add less and add if I have to. 

4. Serve on hashbrowns, biscuits or whatever you like.

5. To give it that extra special kick/flavor, my mother-in-law told me about adding a bit of chicken bullion.  It really does enhance the flavor!

1 comment:

gluten free products said...

Here I would strongly recommend grinding the meat of your choice yourself or alternatively have a butcher coarse grind it specifically for you.