Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Italian Bean and Sausage Soup

My sil, Beka posted a soup she was making.  It looked so good but I'm not so fond of fennel.  I modified this original recipe and came up with this.  The kids and I love it!  Hubby isn't home yet but I have a feeling he'll really like it too.  I liked mine better when I stirred in the sour cream.  

The soup in it's original state with freshly grated parmesan cheese and sour cream.

 After the sour cream has been stirred in.  


Italian Bean and Sausage Soup
Ingredients:
2 onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound mild sausage
olive oil or butter for browning
2 cans (15.5oz) great northern beans, rinsed
28 oz petite diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth
sour cream
fresh parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Brown meat, onions, peppers and herbs in oil till the meat is cooked through.  Add to crackpot.

2. Pour the tomatoes, broth and beans into the crackpot.  Stir and place lid on.  Cook on high 4 hours.

3. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

3 comments:

Sandi said...

I love a good soup in the winter. This looks yummy!

Sandi said...

Made this today and it is yummy!! Your dad and I both love it. Although I just threw everything in the crock pot and then decided we didn't have four hours to wait so put it in a pan on the stove. Thanks for sharing!!
hugs~

Jamie said...

Oh, yum, thanks for sharing!!!!!