Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Matt's Birthday at Union Woodshop

You've got to love good BBQ and that is just what this is!  My husband heard from friends at work that this place was amazing and they were right!  Union Woodshop got BBQ of the Year 2011 Award from Kevin's BBQ Joints.  It also was named Restaurant of the Year 2011 by the Detroit Free Press

Sign in front of Restaurant.

Indoor decor - the decor was much better than it shows up in the picture here.  Very nice atmosphere for families or dating!  

Here is Matt and Jon looking over the menu.  I don't know if you can tell much by the picture, but the seating is SO nice!  It is very classy.  I could be wrong but I think the seat is leather.  Look at that detail!

Little Joshua trying to eat the crayon.  Silly boy!  All the tables are covered in butcher paper which is helpful not only because kids made messes, but it's also fun to color on!

Me and my Lyshie.  I should have picked a better picture.  Oh well. lol

This was a very nice touch and definitely not something you see every day.  Each table had a salt and pepper grinder.  We're big into that!  Beka got us hooked on the freshly ground salt and I honestly can't remember who got Matt hooked on fresh ground pepper.  Anyway...very nice touch!

First Course - Deep Fried Pickles with Memphis Mayo.  I will be the first to say that I do not like pickles.  However, these were pretty tastey.  The batter was perfect and the sauce was so amazing!  Don't skip the sauce!
While waiting for our food I thought I'd get a picture of the sauce crate.  Located in this lovely crate was ketchup as well as 5 other sauces you could use on your bbq.  My favorite was the Tennessee!

Out came my tray - yes a tray just like Matt and I used in food service for baking.  The cool thing about this is there's so much food and this is the perfect way to keep it all contained.  I think if they put it on plates, there would be a huge mess.  Anyway, I got the Pulled Pork and a Side Car of Smoked Chicken with Fries and Green Bean Casserole as the sides.  Lyshie shared some with me but we still had a lot left. There's also more memphis style mayo for the fries (which by the way are hand cut).  

Yes, here's my chicken.  Sorry it's blurry.

Joshua was in baby heaven.  He had grilled cheese, fries and apple slices.  He was one happy guy!  He ate a lot of food!

Next up is Jon's Mac-N-Cheese with carrots.  Lyshie also got Mac-N-Cheese off the kids menu while also sharing with me.

Matt's meal consisted of Ribs, Beef Brisket, Onion Rings and Mac-N-Cheese.  What you don't see is that he got Butterscotch Pudding for dessert.

So...now comes my critique.  First of all I need to let you know that the portions sizes were huge!  The reason Matt and I both got a meal (instead of sharing) and got the extra side car of meat was to be able to try as much as we could.  That way, the next time we go back, we'll know what we love.  

Ok here goes.....

Meats:
Chicken - The chicken was good.  I am not used to a smoked chicken.  With sauce it was pretty tastey but it was just a bit dry by itself.  That said, it is smoked meat and the flavor is still yummy.

Pulled Pork - This was by far my favorite meat.  It was tender, juicy and very flavorful.  I dipped it in the Tennessee sauce and WOW!  AMAZING!

Ribs - I'm one to not like dry ribs very well but these were pretty good. They did have a very good flavor and for being smoked, they were more tender than any dry rib I've had.  These were Matt's favorite meat!

Brisket - This was lovely.  It ended up coming up second on my meat list.  It was tender, moist and very flavorful.  Again, dipped in the Tennessee sauce it was amazing.

Mac-N-Cheese - They are known for their Mac-N-Cheese.  While white noodles is not something I really eat anymore, I thought I'd have just one bite.  The flavor was phenomenal!  If you like Mac-N-Cheese, give this a shot.  It was very rich, creamy, and so many different flavors exploded in my mouth.  I will say, as a meal by itself, I think it'd be too much for me but as a side...mmmm!  Everyone in my family agreed it was top notch.

Green Bean Casserole - For those who know me well, you know I'm a purist with most of my food.  The idea of green bean casserole to me is what you get at Thanksgiving.  Good stuff!  This seemed like it had a parmesan cheese sauce as it's base.  Unfortunately, I did not like this as well.  Next time I'll go for the coleslaw. I've heard that's amazing.  I would like to say though....it's just me and what I was expecting as green bean casserole.  The food wasn't bad - just not what I was expecting.

Fries - the fries are hand cut and served with the Memphis Mayo.  They are very good!

Onion Rings - The onion rings again with the Memphis Mayo were very yummy.  I haven't had battered fried food in a very long time so I could only do part of one.  That said, the flavor of the batter, the texture of the onion ring and the flavor of the sauce was out of this world!

Deep Fried Pickles - I've never liked dill pickles; not even in pregnancy.  The batter they used on the pickles seems like the same that was used on the onion rings.  It was done very well and fried to perfection!  The pickles were nice and crunchy (not soggy) and the breading was lovely!  Dipped in Memphis Style Mayo they were pretty good! The sweetness of the mayo balances out of sourness of the pickles.  If you're a pickle lover, you're in for a treat!  If you're not, give them a try.  I think you might like them anyway.

Last but not least was the Butterscotch Pudding.  My hubby was told this was THE dessert to get.  Because I don't really do sugar anymore I only had a little bite.  Another WOW!  I do not like butterscotch but I LOVED this pudding!  

This restaurant is not only our favorite BBQ, I think it may now be our favorite period.  The prices are pretty good and considering you can share a meal with someone easily, that's a great deal.  As an example, my huge meal was almost $17 but there would have been enough for myself and my husband to share and still leftovers.  The food was also top quality!  The kids meals were around $4 which was amazing again for the size and quantity.  You'd pay that much at McDonalds - ick!  

So, if you want to find out more about Union Woodshop, visit the below link.  

http://www.unionwoodshop.com/

1 comment:

lbredthauer said...

Oh my... Your critic is mouth-watering!!! I just checked out their website too. I'd love to go there sometime. I'll have to make up an excuse for us to drive all the way there tho...