Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fantastic Fajitas!


I've been on the search for years for an easy yet fabulous fajita seasoning.  I have not found a recipe that I like but I did find Lysander's Fajita Seasoning at Meijer tonight.  It has no msg and is gluten free!  These were by far the best fajitas we've had in a long time.  Here's how I made them. 


Ingredients:
1 - 2 1/2 pound bag frozen chicken breasts
** 2 packets of Lysander's Fajita Seasoning (2 packets comes together)
1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced - use color of choice
1 package refrigerated corn tortillas (the kind you have to warm up to use)
oil of choice
fajita toppings of choice

Directions:
1. Place chicken in crockpot in frozen state.  Sprinkle the top with 2 seasoning pouches, cover with lid and cook on high till chicken is cooked through.  This could take 4-7 hours depending on the crockpot.

2. When chicken is cooked through, take out and slice.  If there's a lot of broth, drain off some but not all of it.  I drained a bit too much and it was dry.  Next time I'll keep 1/2 - 3/4 cup of juice in there.

3. Place chicen back in crockpot and place peppers on top.  Cook on low with lid on till you finish up the rest of your preparations or till the peppers are soft.   It took mine about 1/2 hour on warm so I would think on low it'd be faster.

4. Shred your cheese, shred lettuce, chop cilantro, chop onions, etc... Get all your toppings in bowls ready to go.  The last part goes fast so you want everything ready in the meantime.

5. Next, put a bit of oil in the pan just to cover the surface and turn on medium heat.  Add in your tortilla shells one at a time.  I cooked for about a minute on each side.  Gauge whether you want them cripsy or not.  Ours were in-between.  I put a napkin on a plate, a warmed tortilla, then another napkin and repeated. I will say the ones that were cooked and immediately filled were the best.  

6. Last but not least, fill your tortillas.  They are especially good with some fresh lime squeezed on the top.  

Enjoy!

**This is the best quality and taste I have found yet.  Don't use the McCormick or other like brands.  It's not nearly as good.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Sounds wonderful!!! :)