Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Scrumptious and Super Easy Sweet Potatoes and Squash


I was having a very hard and busy day a few days back. I was going to have hubby grill some meat but that still left sides that needed to be made. I had several sweet potatoes and a small winter squash I had gotten from Door to Door Organics. I quickly washed them all, cut them in half and seeded the squash. I threw them all in the crockpot, skin side down, poured in a bit of water and turned it on high. I just love to be able to throw something in the crockpot and have it ready hours later.

I checked on it a few hours later and it was nice and tender. IT was about an hour before diner time so I adjusted my crockpot to the warm setting (you could also turn it in low). Everything was perfect! Talk about an easy side! Our baby Joshua could not get enough.

One thing to keep track of is the water. You don't need much at all, just enough to have about an inch or less of standing water in the bottom. This helps steam the veggies and keep them from burning on the bottom. Another thing to mention is that I actually had these layered on top of each other. It really doesn't matter if they are 1 or 2 layers thick :)

Happy Eating!

No comments: