Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Door to Door Organics 4/15/2010





Here is what we got in our box today!
1 ea. Avocado
6 ea. Bananas
6 ea. Bartlett Pears
1 lb Yellow Onions
1 ea. Mangoes
1 ea. Strawberries
2 ea. Red Bell Peppers
1 ea. Celery
0.33 lb Garlic
1 ea. Green Leaf Lettuce
3 lb Yams
1 lb Zucchini
1 ea. Broccoli Rapini
2 ea. Avocado
1 ea. Red Russian Kale
Box Cost: $39.00

Every time we get our box it's like Christmas! We love seeing what yummy foods have arrived. In this box I have received something I've never tried before. It is the Broccoli Rapini. I've found several recipes online but the one that really looked yummy to me was the Broccoli Raab Pasta. You will see the recipe below.

When I first started getting Door to Door Organics boxes, I had never made kale before. Here is the recipe I love for Potato Kale Soup. I had also never had chard. I make a harvest pot pie with that. My sil gave me a turkey recipe for that which I'll be posting soon. I think the turkey is ok but I have made a change and made it more like a beef harvest pot pie instead. Very yummy!

If you're interested in purchasing from Door to Door Organics and live in one of the below states, visit doortodoororganics.com and let them know Amanda Kaake referred you :) Yes we do get referral credit. It's so nice to know where our food comes from and that it's organically treated.

Door to Door Organic Locations:
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Kansas City
Maryland
Michigan
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Washington DC


BROCCOLI RAAB PASTA
Ingredients:
1 large onion thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch broccoli rapini (raab)
olive oil
romano cheese
red pepper flakes
salt
1/2 pound penne pasta
red wine vinegar

Directions:
Put on a large pot of water to boil. In a skillet, coated with olive oil, heat the onion over high heat. When onion is browning in spots, add the garlic, red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Toss briefly, then add the raab and a splash of water. Lower the heat and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Meanwhile cook pasta. Taste the raab and adjust the seasonings. Add a generous amount of olive oil and a splash of vinegar. Toss with the drained pasta and top with romano cheese.


Keep an eye out for new posts and recipes from the foods we make with our Door to Door organics box!

No comments: