Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Spicy Mexican Bean Burgers and Tomato Avocado Salad
I have never had a veggie burger till today - just a little too freaked out. I found a recipe online for the Spicy Mexican Bean Burrito and thought I'd give it a whirl. Right after making that I came up with a quick salad and dressing. Yum! I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
Spicy Mexican Bean Burger
SERVES 6 , 6 burgers
1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans (these are always vegan)
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 cup small onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 green pepper, coarsely chopped
1/4-1/2 cup frozen corn
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
1/8 cup picante sauce or salsa (spicy or mild to your taste)
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
1 dash chili powder
1 dash cumin
1/2 cup sliced black olives (optional, we did not use)
hot sauce, a few drops per burger (optional, I did not use because I'm nursing)
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onions, carrots, corn and chopped green pepper.
3. In the meantime, place beans in a large bowl.
4. Sauté until vegetables are bright in color.
5. Add vegetables to beans, blend with hand mixer.
6. Add remaining ingredients, adding more flour to create a firmer mixture, or more salsa if mixture is too stiff.
7. Form into balls and smash into patties.
8. Place on pieces of waxed paper and stack in Tupperware.
9. Place about 5 sliced olives in middle of patty, smash to seal them inside.
10. To heat, spray each burger with cooking spray.
11. Heat over medium heat and cook until browned on one side.
12. Flip and drop a few drops of hot sauce on burger if desired.
Avocado Tomato Salad
Serves 1-2 people
4-5 large grape tomatos sliced in half
a few slices of yellow pepper
a few thing slices of red onion
1 diced avocado
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
1. Mix all veggies together.
2. Mix dressing together in a separate container then drizzle on veggies.